Monday, July 28, 2008

Newest Million DJ March Performers: Dramills & DJ Dirty Harry

In rap, your moment to shine goes faster than a NY minute, so Jamaica, Queens born lyricist Dramills isn't wasting any of his time. Emerging from the Lost Boyz family, the 23 year old has seen his click bask in success (their 96' major label debut Legal Drug Money surpassed gold) and suffer tragedy (Freaky Tah's 1999 murder & Spigg Nice's 37-year prison sentence for bank robbery earlier this year) and he now looks to recapture respect for his click by standing on his own. "A lot of people put me in positions, like he's resurrecting the Lost Boyz," tells Dramills. "Thats my crew and thats it. I can't resurrect LB. I'm going to just do me."Releasing his first mixtape Ghetto Slum Alumni last march, with guest drops by Lloyd Banks and WC, Dramills has sold over 50,000 copies since its single "Do It Again," featuring R. Prophet of the Nappy Roots, became an internet favorite. But Dramills didn't always figure he'd be working so hard. Turning down a deal with Def Jam at age 19 and later opening for Mr. Cheeks on the Lights, Camera, Action! Tour, the newbie waited patiently for his mentor's supposed label to jump off. That never happened. Envisioning his window of opportunity closing, 'Mills parted with LB. "I had to step away from the Lost Boyz, because I wanted Dramills known," explains the New York raised, VA resident. "I may come across as overconfident, but I been doing this a long time. From 106 & Park to Rap City to dinner with Andre Harrell and on the road with Puff, I don't care what nobody says, I'm a veteran!"His mixtape's success forced labels to notice. Rejecting deals from both Sony and Sure Shot, Dramills launched his label G.S.A Music, last year. I've seen how the label doesn't care about you," says 'Mills. A lot of people get deals and they're happy to be in Best Buy. I don't give a damn if i'm in Best Buy and nobody's buying. Come at me correct." With offers from Virgin and Warner in tow, Stack Bundles in heart, second mixtape (Hood Talk 2.1) hosted by DJ Dirty Harry and Big Mike, Dramills knows his window of opportunity is now wide open, adding that you can "definitely expect a platinum plaque for my major debut."

No comments: